Large Old Map of London - 1746, 1788, 1830 or 1862. Big custom map up to 4 metres (13ft)
Handmade in the USA
Your map will be handmade in the US
The Unique Maps Co. has state of the art production facilities in North Carolina and Michigan, and specialist large format facilities in New Jersey and California. Your map will be printed, framed and personalised in the US.
Making and dispatching maps locally keeps delivery times down (usually 2-3 days) and means your map should always arrive in perfect condition.
It's also great if you're buying a gift for someone in the US, but you live outside the US. I can make and deliver your gift locally in the US; you won't have to pay any tax or import duty.
in 2-3 days
Delivery in 2-3 days
Your map should be delivered in 2-3 working days with free delivery.
Express delivery is available at checkout which can reduce this to 1-2 days.
If you need your order to arrive by a certain date, contact me and we can discuss your options.
Please note that personalised maps, and some larger framed maps can take longer to produce and deliver.
- Rated 'Excellent' on Trustpilot
- Certified sustainable frames & packaging
To help you pick the right size, here are some of my 'standard' map sizes next to each other, in portrait and landscape orientation.
|12x16in (30.5x41cm)||16x20in (41x51cm)||18x24in (45.5x51cm)
|12x16in (30.5x41cm)||16x20in (41x51cm)||18x24in (45.5x51cm)
Generally, if you have the space and the budget, I recommend buying a map that is 16x20 inches or larger.
My maps are legible at all sizes, but the text can be very small when buying the smallest available size on my shop (usually 12x16 inches).
Buying unframed maps
If you buy an unframed old map from me, and plan to frame it yourself, please read this page. Otherwise you may get a map that doesn't fit your frame, which would be very frustrating for everyone.
General size guidelines
Generally, for maps up to and including 24x36 inches, the size in inches is exactly accurate.
So, for example, if you buy an 18x24 inch map, you should buy a frame that 'fits artwork' that is 18x24 inches.
If you need a map with an exact size in centimetres, please contact me. Usually the centimetre size on my shop is accurate, but it can be off by a few millimetres. So, to avoid disappointment, message me first.
|Exact size in inches||Exact size in centimetres|
|8x8 inches||20.32 x 20.32cm|
|8x10 inches||20.32 x 25.4cm|
|10x10 inches||25.4 x 25.4cm|
|12x16 inches||30.48 x 40.64cm|
|12x12 inches||30.48 x 30.48cm|
|14x14 inches||35.56 x 35.56cm|
|16x16 inches||40.64 x 40.64cm|
|16x20 inches||40.64 x 50.8cm|
|18x18 inches||50.8 x 50.8cm|
|18x24 inches||50.8 x 60.96cm|
|24x24 inches||60.96 x 60.96cm|
|24x30 inches||60.96 x 76.2cm|
|24x36 inches||60.96 x 91.44cm|
Please contact me if you are planning to frame a large map (over 40 inches or 100cm) yourself.
If you are buying your own frame, I recommend you wait for the frame to arrive, confirm the internal size of the frame, and then tell me the exact size that you need. Measure the width and height of the board on the back of the frame to get an accurate measurement.
Alternatively, buy the map from me, measure it when it arrives, and then order a frame to fit.
For large maps I can customise the size of your map for free.
If you are taking your map to a local framer, they will measure the map for you and then make the frame to fit.
Maps in "A" paper sizes
Many of my maps are now available in "A" paper sizes.
If you are looking for an A size that is not available on my shop, such as 2A0 or A4, please contact me for pricing.
Need help ordering?
WhatsApp me any time or use the contact form.
Not quite what you're looking for? Take a look at my custom made old maps. They can focus on a specific address.
Or try searching for something!
I have six amazing, old maps of London that can be printed at sizes up to 10 meters wide (33 feet). They can be customised to fit your space, or to focus on a particular part of London - I can make the maps wider, narrower, taller, shorter.
If you wish to see the maps in more detail, please scroll down and find links to individual product pages. You can see very high resolution maps that you can zoom and move around.
Every map has been lovingly restored from the original antique map. Every map will be handmade and printed at super high resolution to your exact requirements. If you're not happy with your map, which I think is very unlikely, you can return it for a full no-quibble refund.
These large maps would be perfect for hotels, offices, pubs, bars or other hospitality spaces - but if you have a large space at home, then they would look amazing there as well!
Please get in touch with me before you order so that we can discuss what you're looking for and make sure that the map you buy will look perfect.
I can also frame your map, and deliver it via special courier service. Just get in touch and I'll send you a quote, usually within a few hours.
There are six old masterpiece maps of London for you to choose from:
- John Rocque's map of London, Westminster and Southwark, 1746. This is the original (and probably best) map of old London. It was originally printed in 24 sheets and was 4 meters wide. I can recreate the whole map for you - or if you only have a square space, we could create a customised version that would fit perfectly.
I have two versions of this map - an aged, sepia map, and a monochrome greyscale version. Both are beautiful. Visit the listing to learn more.
- Charles Booth's Maps of London Poverty, 1898-99. Originally printed in 12 sheets, this is one of the most unusual and fascinating maps of London or indeed any city in the world. Not only is it an incredibly detailed map of a huge part of central and outer London, but Booth surveyed the wealth of every house and street of London. You can see which parts of London were upper class, middle class or even 'semi criminal' back in Victorian London. Learn more about this map and see detailed close-up images.
- C&J Greenwood's map of London, 1830. This is the finest old, colour map of London. Originally printed in 6 sheets, this is probably the prettiest of the three maps. The parks are green, the Thames is blue. A few more famous landmarks have been built by 1830, too.
I have 3 different variants of this map - fully handcoloured, monochrome, and monochrome with a blue Thames that looks truly strunning.
- John Rocque's map of London and 10 miles around, 1745. This is the other major map that John Rocque produced of London. There's less detail, but the map extends all the way out to most of London's suburbs, including Hackney, Wimbledon, Highgate and Richmond. It's a beautiful map that shows London when much of the area was still fields and forests. Learn more about this map and see some close-up images.
- Edward Stanford's library map of London and its suburbs, 1862. This is the most detailed map of London and its suburbs from the 1800s. Originally published in 24 sheets, there's an incredible amount of detail in this map - almost every individual building in London is rendered. This map shows London at the peak of the British Empire - but when most of its suburbs are still just fields. This map is perfect for zoomed in, customised maps of London if you are looking for a personalised map that focuses on a specific area. I can also print this map at huge sizes - up to 10 meters (33 feet) wide. I recommend you look at the specific listing for this map so that you can grasp the level of detail in this map.
- William Faden's map of London and 25 miles around, 1790. This map, in stark contrast to Rocque's map of London's suburbs, has a lot more colour and character. Zooming in, you'll see a lot more going on - it's the kind of map you could spend hours poring over, looking for old town names, forests that you ran around as a kid, etc. This map looks great at sizes up to 3m (10ft). See the separate listing for this map if you want to see more close-up photos of the map.
I can frame your map as well - just get in touch and we'll discuss your order.
If you're looking for smaller maps of London, check out these listings:
- Custom map of London by Edward Stanford, 1862 (make your own map!)
- Custom John Rocque's 1746 map of London
- Custom Charles Booth 1798 Map of London Poverty
- Custom C&J Greenwood 1830 colour map of London
My standard frame is a black wood frame. It is simple and quite modern looking. On maps up to 36 inches (91cm) the frame is 2cm (0.75in) wide. I use thicker frames on larger maps - usually between 35 and 60mm (1.4in to 2.4in).
In all cases I use super-clear museum-grade acrylic (perspex/acrylite) for the frame glass. It's lighter and safer than glass - and it looks better, as the reflectivity is lower.
All frames are provided "ready to hang", with either a string or brackets on the back. Very large frames will have heavy duty hanging plates and/or a mounting baton. If you have any questions... always get in touch!
If you want a different frame colour or material, click "customise your frame" before adding it to your basket. Learn more about my custom framing and mounting/matting.
Alternatively, I can also supply old map on canvas, foam board, cotton rag and other materials.
If you want to frame your map yourself, please read my map size guide first.
For most orders, delivery time is about 3 working days. Personalised orders take longer, as I have to do the personalisation and send it to you for approval, which usually takes a day or two.
As Christmas draws closer, please take a look at my Christmas delivery deadlines. Deliveries will slow down as we get closer to Christmas.
Please note that for larger framed orders (over 40in/100cm), and some other framed sizes, the delivery time will be closer to 7-10 days.
If you need your order to arrive by a certain date, please contact me before you order so that we can find the best way of making sure you get your order in time.
I have production facilities all around the world where I print and frame maps. This means your map will be made locally, which cuts down on delivery time and reduces the chance of your map being damaged during delivery. There won't be any extra taxes or duties to pay, and we'll put less CO2 into the air.
All of my maps are well packaged and sent in a rugged tube if unframed, or surrounded by foam if framed.
I try to send out all maps within 1 or 2 days of receiving your order, though some products (like face masks or mugs) can take longer to make.
If you select Express Delivery at checkout your order we will prioritise your order and send it out by 1-day courier (Fedex, DHL, UPS, Parcelforce).
We are able to next-day delivery in some cases if you order before 10am. But usually it's best to contact me first before you order.
My maps are extremely high quality reproductions of original maps.
I source original, extremely rare maps from libraries, auction houses and private collections around the world, restore them at my London workshop, and then use specialist giclée inks and printers to create beautiful maps that look even better than the original.
My maps are printed on acid-free archival matte (not glossy) paper that feels very high quality and almost like card. In technical terms the paper weight/thickness is 10mil/190gsm. It's perfect for framing.
I print with Epson ultrachrome giclée UV fade resistant pigment inks - some of the best inks you can find.
Please contact me if you're looking for a print on canvas or cotton rag.
Learn more about how the Unique Maps Co. sources and restores old maps
If you want to make your old map really unique, I am able to personalise your map with a short message, for example:
- "Happy birthday, Ben! From Mum & Dad"
- "To My Beloved. Let's Explore The World Together!"
This message will be added to the map in such a way that it looks just like a real part of the map.
Select the "Personalise Map" option above if you'd like to add map personalisation to your map.
Learn more about my map personalisation service.
Get in touch if you're looking for more complex customisations and personalisations.
If you are not happy with your unique map for any reason, contact me for a no-quibble refund.
I am very confident you will like your old map. I have been doing this since 1984. I'm a 5-star Etsy seller. I have sold tens of thousands of maps and have over 1,500 real 5-star reviews.
I use a unique process to restore my maps that is massively time consuming and labour intensive. Hunting down the original maps can take months. I use state of the art and eye-wateringly expensive technology to scan and restore the maps. As a result, I guarantee my maps are a cut above the rest - that's why I can offer a no-quibble refund.
Almost all of my maps look amazing at large sizes (200cm, 6.5ft+) and I can frame and deliver them to you as well, via special oversized courier. Contact me to discuss your specific needs.